Announcing 2017-2018 Boston Season Auditions
Artistic Director, Lacey Sasso has returned to Boston after two seasons choreographing and teaching in London. Sasso & Company is looking for female dancers with exemplary contemporary and jazz technique to join our company for the 2017-2018 season.
Photo Credit: Mickey West Photography
The company was formed in 2014 by Lacey Sasso as a premiere contemporary dance group comprised of strong, fierce, passionate women. The company’s work is bold, emotional, and captivating for the first time dance viewer as well as a seasoned dance lover.
Sasso & Company’s first season was fully backed by a Kickstarter campaign allowing for the full creative focus to be on the psychology behind Love in Motion. In 2016, Dancing the Distance was performed to two SOLD OUT audiences at Cambridge’s Green Street Studios. The following season was a focused experiment on exploring dance through film. Artistic Director, Lacey Sasso is excited to get back into the studio for a full season of concert dance.
What to expect as a company member:
Ms. Sasso will be creating an all new premiere evening length work. In her signature style, movement will be motivated through psychological theory and dramatic narrative. Dancers need to be ready to dive into their emotional depths to create an environment of complete immersion and commitment to the creative process.
Ms. Sasso’s process is both collaborative and inclusive, making the dancers central to the artistry. The movement will utilize the dancers’ versatility through partnering, balletic phrases, the sass and syncopation of classic jazz, and a wide range of gestural contemporary movement. Dancers should be ready to showcase their improvisational skills and willingness to create collaboratively.
When: Saturday, September 23, 2017 from 2:30pm – 4:30pm
What: Barefoot contemporary and modern dance phrases will be taught in addition to a brief improvisational section
A few practical details:
- Dancers should be ready to commit to a full season (September 2017 – June 2018).
- Rehearsals are once weekly for 2-3 hours. Space is always rented with T/public transit access in mind for those without access to a car.
- Rehearsals are currently unpaid. Some performance pay may be available.
- Expect to be performing a lot!! The company has performed at Third Life Choreographer’s Series, Somerville’s Art Beat, Jose Mateo’s Dance for World Community, Mobius Festival, GoodTHANG, and Astoria Dance Festival among others.
- If you are interested in creating work on the company, collaborative opportunities are available.